Being Bruin: By the Numbers
Published Jan 1, 2010 8:00 AM
Think you know UCLA history? Here's your chance to prove it. Take the latest quiz from the UCLA History Project and see how well you fare. You can find the answers at the bottom of this page.
1. All of the following were common nicknames for UCLA's first location on Vermont Avenue except:
a. Streetcar College
b. The Branch
c. The Twig
d. Bruin U.
2. What was a peagreener on the 1920s campus?
a. A freshman
b. A botany student
c. A favorite soup in the cafeteria
d. A member of the golf team
3. All of the following were considered by the regents when naming the university on the eve of its move to Westwood except:
a. Westwood University
b. Pacific Hills College
c. California State, South
d. Abraham Lincoln University of California
4. All of the following have been senior class gifts presented to the university except:
a. Kerckhoff Hall
b. A fountain outside of Royce Hall
c. Community service vans
d. Benches along Bruin Walk
5. In the fall of 1937, a group of candle- and lantern-bearing students gathered at the university library for what reason?
a. To mourn the passing of the campus librarian
b. To scare off a swarm of chirping crickets
c. To protest insufficient light in the building
d. To celebrate a football victory over Berkeley
6. During World War II, which university resource-saving measures could be seen?
a. "Meatless Tuesdays" in the cafeteria
b. The movement of rare library books to protective vaults
c. Instituting a three-year curriculum
d. All of the above
7. The campus free speech gathering spot, Meyerhoff Park, was previously known by what name?
a. Noplaysta Park
b. Moore Park
c. Hyde Park
d. Regents' Park
8. What sound filled the air of the university quad for the first time on March 26, 1939?
a. The clang of a triangle announcing lunch in the cafeteria
b. The first toll of the Victory Bell exclaiming a football win over USC
c. A buzzer indicating a break between class periods
d. The Royce Hall chimes
9. Built in 1957, what can be found under one of the domes on top of the Mathematical Sciences building?
a. The world's largest abacus
b. A swimming pool
c. The campus radio station
d. A planetarium
10. Caddy, Babe and Red were all nicknames of which of the following?
a. Favorite faculty
b. Student body presidents
c. Homecoming queens
d. Athletic team coaches
For you adventurous Bruins who prefer to be "graded" on your blue-and-gold IQ, take the quiz online at the UCLA History Project's website: www.UCLAHistoryproject.ucla.edu/quiz And if you have any questions of your own, please e-mail it to us at UCLAHistoryProject@UCLAlumni.net.
1-d; 2-a; 3-b; 4-a; 5-c; 6-d; 7-c; 8-d; 9-d; 10-d.