Skip to content. Skip to more features. Skip to most popular. Skip to footer.

UCLA

Comments

Re: http://magazine.ucla.edu/features/smart_set/

Just surfing? Return to the article.

• It just goes to show that no matter where you have got to you can always come back to education and excel
    — Jim Cluedo
    Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17:27 PM
  • I personally am taking 57 units, but am fully focused and time streamlined to ensure I succeed. No extracurricular activites or girls, just school.
    — John
    Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 04:27:10 PM
  • LOL. I can barely handle 12 credits at a time. Good job though.

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:44:22 AM
  • Real world contributions are more meaningful than academia merit, and what he gives is better than what he takes. Many mediums sponsor pretentiousness -- even social websites support such. Part of the education system tests knowledge that is learned before people first attend classes. Anyways, he was able to do this because he tried, and more people would be able to try if allowed. The limits of human are not defined by you nor here.
    — Michael Hopkins
    Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 09:59:53 PM
  • over 60 units in a quarter is crazy, period!
    — christian winnerin
    Posted: Sun Sep 6, 2009 01:01:37 PM
  • I am so surprised by all the negative comments! How embarassing that UCLA has so many haters. : ( What's the big deal? Good job, James Franco. Cool article.
    — kenali dan kunjungi objek wisata di pandeglang
    Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:01:36 AM
  • first of all, goo djob to him. I am surprized to see all these negative comments, BUT i agree with one thing, ucla should choose real UCLA students as speakers. Jams is really good, I love him as a actor, but he is not really a ucla students, and I am asking UCLA to make this into their consideration!
    — peter
    Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 08:52:19 PM
  • I really like to know how may I take 60 units in a quarter. would someone give me a hint? or to take 60 units a quarte we need to be actor?
    — Arman
    Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 08:40:42 PM
  • It\'s been a few years since I attended UCLA, but there are a few things I don\'t remember as well. When I was there, 60 units would have been 20 classes in one quarter, minimum. In an 10 week quarter. The article says 60 credits. What exactly are credits? How much are they worth? I have to believe that there is a difference.
    — Eric
    Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 10:32:31 PM
  • 60 units in a quarter sounds totally insane!! I can imagine how hard that is. James Franco must have tremendous effort to achieve this. Congratulations!
    — Cute Easy Hiarstyles
    Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 09:41:57 PM
  • The 62 isn't a typo. James is amazing and probably was able to do all he did because he rarely sleeps. I don't see how he hasn't collapsed yet. Anyway, Go Bruins and please be respectful to him while he gives his speech. It's common human courtesy and let's not show the rest of the world how uncivilized we Bruins are.
    — fellowbruin
    Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 02:54:06 PM
  • While I applaud Franco's achievements, I would like to see his study list for the quarter he took 62 units. How is it even possible to complete 62 units in 10 weeks? I wonder if they created independent study classes for him and made them worth 15-20 units each. And to those who say that we should mind our own business, Franco is the one making all of this public, so that makes the public free to comment.
    — Susan
    Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 03:43:33 PM

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:10:09 AM
  • The real problem here is that James Franco is not able to inspire one of the largest classes in the nation. He had a very specific situation that allowed him to become successful, and in no way does this qualify him to speak to thousands of amazing students about life experiences. Kareem, Clinton, OOPS!
    — Chris
    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:38:45 PM
  • Congratulation! I am very proud of you. Don't pay attention to what jealous people say. You are super smart and your story interested me a lot because I am an English major with creative writing concentration too.Best luck and best wishes to you.
    — Melanie
    Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 06:26:10 PM
  • Can we petition to get a different speaker for class of 09? I understand why some would laud Franco's achievements but I do not feel that Franco embodies the true UCLA student ideology. Not many of us (students) have assistants that can help us in classes and the celebrity to get counselors to enroll them into 60 units. I'm all for his achievements, but I would like to celebrate my own achievements as a member of 09 with a different commencement speaker.
    — class of 09 student
    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 03:51:12 PM
  • I worked with him on Spiderman-2 &3, as part of the crew. He is very nice, down-to-earth person. people should read the article better, as Michael was saying before. Congratulations, James!
    — Laura
    Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 05:10:03 AM
  • He took my class, attended regularly (with an assistant), and earned an A-. He never asked for special treatment or flaunted his celebrity. I didn't ask how many other classes he was taking. I have heard the rumors about incredibly high numbers of units but have not tried to verify them.
    — k
    Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 08:20:29 PM
  • definitely impossible to take 62 units per quarter... i dont care if your alber einstein, thats impossible.. not enough time. I dont knock the man for doing his thing but i personally know individuals that are overcoming harder obstacles that deserve this article...
    — dnlrdnz
    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 02:19:44 PM
  • I'm sorry but this article is just kind of embarrassing. I agree that there are plenty of people who deserve features over james franco, and while i think he is cool, i'm embarrassed to be part of an institution that is not just name dropping, but name dropping poorly.
    — nick
    Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:29:07 AM
  • Wow congratulations! Instead of childishly attacking Franco for his extraordinary achievements, we should be praising him for not allowing the fame and money to deter his studies. It is possible to be approved to take more than 19 quarter units with counselor approval; I don't see any special treatment in utilizing your universities services. Also, the maximum GPA you can earn at a university is a 4.0... you’d probably know this if you graduated high school =p.
    — Sean
    Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:31:21 PM
  • Isn't it against the rules to enroll in several schools at the same time? Generally, each school would strip you of your credits when they found out you were enrolled in another university concurrently, but not in this case.
    — Kevin
    Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 08:48:53 PM
  • Reading all the comments about James Franco was interesting. It's funny that most of the people who are commenting seem to be students and have terrible grammar. It is easier to get better grades in a subject if a person has a passion for that subject. I do not care for english or history, but I excel at math and science, and I do not need to study very hard to get an "A" in those subjects. Anyway, pursue your passion and you may be able to do the same.
    — Cal
    Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 07:05:09 AM
  • Leave him alone! Leave Jim Franco alone!
    — blondguy
    Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 08:07:09 PM
  • I try to get all the help I need by getting tutored and counseled. If he hired an assistant to help him... well, nothing is ever equal among students anyways. I feel that UCLA is advertising itself by saying that even bright celebrities go there, but come on! shed some light on people who are exceptional but not on the limelight all the time!
    — Nataly
    Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:40:11 PM
  • I do wish UCLA hadn't chosen a commencement speaker who was much more clearly focused on himself than the rest of the world. He believes himself to be better than the rest of the UCLA community, which is just not true. Quote (from GQ): I just think about people who say, 'He's 30 years old and he's in college -- how hard's that?" Well, I'm taking more classes than you ever took, so f--- you. And I'm getting all A's."
    — J
    Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 09:10:04 AM
  • Well, I'd like to see his study list for his 62 units quarter. But I guess if he has high IQ like some of the people say he does, then there's no reason why he can't take 62 units. And, come on, this guy's just trying to get an education with his own money, I don't think that hurts anyone.
    — Eric
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:49:37 PM
  • It does seem he got preferential treatment.I'm an English Major who would like to take an art class but I cannot (per the rules) Franco was able to. No, I am not famous. But, really the clincher was enrolling in three Masters programs. Really? There are many extraordinary students at UCLA, why not feature one of them on the front page? I do think certain folks were a bit awestruck by his celebrity.
    — Gia f.
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 05:46:16 PM
  • Please tell me you guys don't go to UCLA? The article says 20-60 credits! Not units, there is a difference. I find it ridiculous that you guys are bickering about how and why he could achieve so much. Money, etc. Read the article, why don't you guys go study or something.
    — Michael
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 05:01:33 PM
  • pt.2 He got special treatment but tech. he did do all the work himself. So money does buy privileges & favors but if I were him I might have done the same.If the dept. would allow others to exceed the 20 unit limit than I say great but it isnt realistic for a commuter, single parent like me.I hope he does well & goes beyond mediocrity in writing in NY. He is a good actor there is no question about that.I just wish he had not bragged about this 62unit thing-which he has in numerous mags.
    — londonschilling
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 04:01:25 PM
  • I had him in a film & an Eng. class-he wasnt that brilliant. He is nice but thats it. I've read his writing it wasnt spectacular. He did admit in a Brit. mag. that he had help- his ASST. would attend some classes for him & record them & he would listen to them later. I DID see his ASST. come w/ him to class as well. He attended classes that had conflicting times. He would leave my class at the break to attend another eng.class that my friend had w/him.
    — londonschilling
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 04:00:28 PM
  • If I were an English major, hell, I think I would be able to register for 60 units.

Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 03:46:29 PM
  • I personally registered for as many as 80 units per quarter and have completed as many as 57 units per quarter. This helped me graduate in two years with a double major at age 19. John, UCLA, Class of 2003, Math + Computer Science
    — John
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 03:19:16 PM
  • 62 UNITS? I complain about 19, but Mr. Franco's ambition seems to put things in perspective. I have nothing but admiration for James' ability to think outside the celebrity-model-airhead box and would hope that anyone human feels the same way. If you think that he would cheat/bend UCLA over for a degree (the purpose being...?) needs to stop being bitter and give the man the respect he deserves.
    — judoapples
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 02:44:52 PM
  • to the guy below... you can't get a 4.5 GPA
    — lol
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:19:06 PM
  • While this can definitely be viewed as a publicity stunt, it also has provided a forum for some of you to sound like a bunch of unintelligent, blathering idiots. Some of you have the most astrocious grammar I have ever seen--you're making UCLA look worse.
    — brooklyn
    Posted: Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:25:34 AM
  • I dont think this has anything to do with jealously just want to establish if this opportunity is open to all qualified students, I think that is a fair question, we could save our parents a lot of money if we could get this over with in two quarters
    — donna
    Posted: Thu Jan 8, 2009 06:29:28 PM
  • The transparency of the jealousy in so many of these comments is amazing. James Franco has assistants going to class for him? To what end? So he can use his degree to discuss literature and land more roles? As if ANYONE in Hollywood sees intelligence as a prerequisite for ANYTHING (Jessica Simpson, anyone?) This seems to be a purely principled pursuit for Franco, so grow up and give credit where credit is due ...and be happy he isn\'t trying to take your spot at Harvard Law!
    — Darren
    Posted: Wed Jan 7, 2009 11:30:05 AM
  • Amazing achievement. It took me five years and even then I struggled at times. Congratulation, James, along with a rousing eight clap!
    — Fred BASTON
    Posted: Wed Jan 7, 2009 11:27:10 AM
  • Just listened to an interview from NPR's "Fresh Air" from a few months back with Franco. He talked about the 62 unit quarter. He seems like a really serious student. He's an example of a student that obviously doesn't need a college degree in order to get a career or money; he wants to do it for personal enrichment. Good for him.
    — Evan
    Posted: Wed Jan 7, 2009 07:46:30 AM
  • I don't know about 60 units, I know I was part of the Spiderman 2 & 3 crew and he was just a great person. I didn't even know at that time he was a UCLA student. Congratulations on your achievements, James!
    — Laura
    Posted: Tue Jan 6, 2009 09:51:19 PM
  • You are SO right, "— Some_People_Are_Stupid!" Some people are so lame with their negativity. I mean, come on, it's great that he's accomplished so much and STILL striving for more. And the fact that he IS in the spotlight helps encourage a wide spread of people. Stop being jealous and grow up already.
    — Good_Job_Franco!
    Posted: Tue Jan 6, 2009 03:04:01 PM
  • 62 units has to be a typo. It's completely impossible, whereas 26 is only a little crazy. I know people who have taken 20+ units in one quarter, and it's manageable if you stay on top of your work.
    — Kevin
    Posted: Tue Jan 6, 2009 02:13:38 PM
  • He is actually quite intelligent. I don't know why people are having such a hard time believing that he took on all that work. I mean yeah it's a lot, even I was in awe, but he's a smart kid.
    — Laura
    Posted: Tue Jan 6, 2009 12:13:50 PM
  • He's beautiful.

Posted: Mon Jan 5, 2009 11:15:19 PM
  • On campus, I saw students dissolve into tears over 16 units. Its difficult enough to meet the minimum requirements of a class at UCLA (let alone to offer something back to the academic community) without the establishment encouraging students to take on the impossible. This article sends the wrong message and places unreasonable expectations on students. Im incredibly disappointed that UCLA would stoop to use celebrity endorsements. Is this really what our institution stands for?
    — skandia
    Posted: Mon Jan 5, 2009 02:31:35 PM
  • hey, if he wrote an honors thesis, Mr. Franco should've gotten recognition for it at commencement, right? That is impressive. Whoever wrote this article seems to have settled for the 'above 3.5' and forgotten to mention the actual honor in the graduation part.
    — max
    Posted: Sun Jan 4, 2009 09:27:09 PM
  • So, stop letting the jealousy eat away at you and just deal with the fact that he's way smarter that you will ever be, because your wasting time being jealous at James Franco. Maybe if you put that energy into getting educated, you'd be as smart as him, too. I think he's a great choice to speak to the Class of '09! Congrats!
    — Some_People_Are_Stupid!
    Posted: Sun Jan 4, 2009 02:17:43 AM
  • If you took a little time to use Google, you'd find an article about the filming of "Pineapple Express" and how they had to film around James' class schedule, and how James and his co-star were so different, because James always had his head in a book and was more reserved, while Seth Rogen was a more outgoing/rowdy frat boy type. Obviously, he probably paid for his tuition out of pocket... so what? There are a lot of regular people who can afford to do that, too.
    — Some_People_Are_Stupid!
    Posted: Sun Jan 4, 2009 02:16:34 AM
  • I've heard nothing but good things about him and his intelligence, and I'm sure he's one of those lucky few who don't have to study for hours on end on certain subjects that he already knows a lot about - he "gets it" a lot quicker than others.
    — Some_People_Are_Stupid!
    Posted: Sun Jan 4, 2009 02:15:25 AM
  • Wow... look at all the jealous people! I think the jealousy and immature comments are much more of an embarrassment to UCLA than this article ever would be! I would hope that none of these ignorant people actually attend UCLA. If you actually spoke to James Franco's fellow classmates, you would know that he is EXTREMELY smart AND he always attended class.
    — Some_People_Are_Stupid!
    Posted: Sun Jan 4, 2009 02:12:59 AM
  • Congratulations! Go Bruins!
    — Clarice Michelle
    Posted: Sat Jan 3, 2009 11:12:56 PM
  • So many haters while there r students who deserve the spotlight 4 their great work, 20 credits a semester is possible. I take 21 credits a semester n it is hard work but u have to be dedicated. 62 credits is possible in a quarter, ever heard of a summer semester? Plus, they probably let him take 20 or more credits a semester when he proved himself they let him continue doing that. u guys r haters if he werent an actor u wouldve praised him!
    — N. E.
    Posted: Sat Jan 3, 2009 08:05:13 AM
  • Mr. Franco is awesome. Why are so many people talking about his money? He obviously did really well and i'm happy he's a BRUIN!!!
    — yoyo
    Posted: Fri Jan 2, 2009 10:44:19 PM
  • Sounds like someone was a little infatuated and allowed the rules to break not bend. I can only image that there are a few highly qualified students who still would not be given that opportunity. Hope this is an error as it is embarrassing to UCLA for this to happen.
    — Donna
    Posted: Fri Jan 2, 2009 03:25:26 PM
  • But are you in price of the university..???? If so, let me know.

Posted: Fri Jan 2, 2009 06:51:53 AM
  • UMM...who cares. just cause he's famous doesnt make him anymore special. why dont you just interview someone who WAs in the classroom'& always in the classroom & graduated from UCLA just as big of a success like FRANCO. wtf?
    — the way i see it
    Posted: Thu Jan 1, 2009 04:49:51 PM
  • Hey!, you were good in the movie Spider Man. However, I am trying to become an actress just like you well, I am in acting class and working my way up as an actress.
    — Takia Brown
    Posted: Thu Jan 1, 2009 02:16:53 PM
    — Takia Brown
    Posted: Thu Jan 1, 2009 02:11:52 PM
  • Do you think he is able to pay for the 60 hours with out of pocket cash? It is hard for me to fathom someone having enough money just to do that.

Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 02:11:47 PM
  • 60 credits a quarter is a joke. 20 credits is too mcuh.
    — Nardos
    Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 01:00:55 AM
  • i dont care hes hott but that is true i think cuz your rich you got more credits
    — erika almeida
    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 08:41:09 PM
  • 62 units in a quarter (holy hell!) would require twelve 5-unit classes, or about ten 6-unit honor combo classes in a single term, which is quite impossible for one student even just to fit in a week's schedule. So maybe 62 units "in a schoolyear," ~20 units in three quarters, and the summer to make movies (the projs he takes on are really good, btw).
    — max
    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 02:44:12 PM
    — max
    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 02:43:41 PM
  • Probably many not-so famous students were prevented from registering in required courses because the faculty wanted to favor their celebrity student!Based on my experience as a student and a faculty, that there is no way anyone can do justice to more than 20 credit hours especially in a quarter system unless he/she is able to hire someone to do the the homework and assignments!
    — rabhiti
    Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:37:54 AM
  • He likely received credits for doing a movie or two while enrolled. That would explain the hourly commitment, though it does little to argue for quality of the education. This whole story is an embarrassment. It cheapens a degree from UCLA and tries to mitigate that effect by informing us that Mr. Franco is currently enrolled in no less than three graduate programs. Yeah. Okay. No celebrity worship here at all. And to think that I came to this site to research the graduate English program.
    — gm
    Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:58:21 AM
  • 60 units=4 units per class=15 classes. Fellow UCLA students is that even possible? Studying, writing papers, final exams (research papers), going to class. Wow and he gets to address the 09 class, why? That is what is upsetting the most. He doesn't deserve to do that. It isn't practical and academic for him to even give a speech to the class. Get the student who deserves it. Write a petition to the dean. Come on, we are UCLA and NOT the other University of Spoiled Children.
    — Brian
    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 01:19:12 PM
  • It seems as the well to do still have the upper hand in society. Even though he may be qualified to embark at UCLA, 60 units =20 classes (3 units per each) You should study 3 hrs. per class=60 hrs per week not including papers (ENGLISH MAJOR). Other student who are qualified and working just to get by don't get this special treatment. Oh well, live your life and other will live theirs.
    — Matthew
    Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:59:53 PM
  • This man is probably an imposter. Being a grad student and a TA at UCLA, I have noticed that students, who are "high achievers" are crooks. They often plagarize their term papers through special relationships. It can range from sexual relationship with dozen girls at a time or using their fame to make their victims feel blessed that they know them. Their are no mirecals even when we try to rationalize it. Shame on UCLA to publicize such lies.
    — H.H
    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 07:33:41 PM
  • Two thumbs up to you James!!!
    — Amy
    Posted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 01:38:37 PM
  • Are you a hot, A-list celebrity? Come to UCLA! We'll bend the rules for you. Hell, you can take 62 units per quarter and we'll give you an A in virtually any course. Seriously--UCLA sold out its academic standards for Franco (against whom I have nothing--he IS adorable and talented). Whoever allowed him to take that 62 units in a quarter should be terminated for turning UCLA into an institutional hooker.
    — Ron
    Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:51:52 PM
  • The article reads that he registered for 60 credits, not that he kept them all for the whole term.
    — Lostboy
    Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 07:37:22 PM
  • Well I have a lot of trouble paying for tuition as well, but c'mon he obviously loves what he is doing. Think about it, he does not really need a college degree, he's such a good actor I don't think he'll be running out of offers anytime soon. He's doing something most of us do not. He's coming to college for his love of education and his subject rather than to get the grades to get into an ivy league medical, law or graduate school. Props Mr. Franco!
    — Chris
    Posted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:26:02 PM
  • Obviously a misprint. Not 62 credits a quarter but 26 units a quarter. There is physically not enough hours in the day, nor would so many classes be physically able to NOT overlap.
    — David
    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 08:15:57 PM
  • The same person enrolled in three master's program at the same time is absurd. He probably has assistants going to his classes and doing his school work. This story is so Hollywood; fake, imaginative and disturbing.
    — Trina
    Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 07:12:34 PM
  • Yeah, 62 units in a quarter is ridiculous. That way you could get your degree in 3 quarters? Furthermore, an obsession with academia seems to me more like something to be concerned about than something to be celebrated. He's doing three programs right now? What's the point of killing yourself? I guess some people cope that way. Lucky for me I choose sex and awesomeness.
    — Rachel
    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:41:09 PM
  • The article says there was a variation. E.g. at UCLA you can take various courses (like ind research) that give significant credit -- you create a proposal for a reasearch project with stated credits and what will be produced, etc., and your dept and faculty sponsor can approve it. 60 credits is RARE but def possible
    — Oscar
    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 09:43:47 PM
  • There's gotta be at least a 100 people who deserve the spotlight instead of this guy. Ucla is a good academic school but i feel its making a mockery of itself. Is it important that others know Jim Franco goes to Ucla. Why is there so much focus on a celebrity instead of a someone who has a 4.5 gpa. What about those 16 years olds who's about to graduate amongst their peers of 21s.
    — yos
    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 03:27:36 PM
  • is that berkeley's sather gate?

Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:24:35 AM
  • I wonder how many of us--not having to worry about money, cooking, cleaning, rent, etc.--would even bother with academics, or being the best that we can be.
    — julianalex
    Posted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:19:39 AM
  • By being rich and not having to worry about money, cooking, cleaning, rent, etc.
    — susan
    Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 02:04:46 PM
  • 60 credits in one quarter? How on earth is that possible? That is "un-possible". I don't buy that.
    — eyeswideshut